Being more energy efficient is becoming more important to farmers and growers as the NFU aims to reach its target of the industry achieving net zero by 2040. A good way to start becoming more efficient is through an onsite energy audit which not only helps you use less energy but can also help you save between 20% and 50% of your current energy spend.
Here at NFU Energy, we offer an onsite energy audit which starts off with a site visit, where we will:
- Gather information on electrical consumption from billing or HH data.
- Assess what equipment is in use and how this equipment is operated.
- Determine relevant management practices that affect how electricity is consumed on the farm.
From this information, we will use in-house developed software to model electrical consumption on the farm and tailor the software specifically to your site. This will initially highlight potential areas for saving. The software also enables us to make predictions for savings, both in terms of power savings and financial savings for individual upgrades. For example, we can use the software to model the effect of installing a Heat Recovery Unit on a dairy farm, providing expected costs, potential savings (kWh and £) as well as a projected payback period. Having looked at all relevant options for savings, we will prioritise these options for savings so that you can undertake upgrades.
We will then produce a report which will discuss the most relevant options for savings, clearly identifying what should be done, potential costs, potential savings and payback for the option. From this, you will be able to decide which you consider to be the most favourable options.
What we would need from you:
- Provide information as required for us to complete the work.
- Be available on the day of the site visit to show our engineer around and answer technical questions regarding the equipment in use and its management.
- Provide meter readings (electricity bills) for a 12-month period, as recent as possible. Half Hourly data is ideal.
If you would like to find out more about how you could benefit from our onsite energy audit service, give the team a call on 024 7669 6512.