Applications are open for the Green Gas Support Scheme and follow the RHI Biomethane Tariff Guarantee format very closely. There are a few extra requirements to submit a properly made application and we are here to help you with these. The scheme will close to applicants in Autumn 2025 but the tariff will last for 15 years.
The Application will be via Tariff Guarantee with the following tiered tariff rates:
- Tier 1 (first 60,000 MWh) = 5.51 p/kWh
- Tier 2 (next 40,000 MWh) = 3.53 p/kWh
- Tier 3 (any additional) = 1.56 p/kWh
Notable features of the new scheme:
- 50% of all biomethane (by energy content) must be from waste/residues to qualify for maximum subsidy support – this threshold is minded to increase over time
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emission threshold to receive payment is 24g of CO2 equivalent per MJ of biomethane injected compared to the current RHI threshold of 34.8g of CO2 equivalent per MJ biomethane injected
- Injection hubs are NOT eligible
- Only biomethane injection from new AD plants are eligible for the scheme. Expansions and conversions from CHP will NOT be eligible at this time
GGSS accredited plants are able to add capacity if the extension app falls within the 4 year GGSS window; RHI accredited plants expanding to include biomethane will not be eligible to apply, but you can transfer GGSS registration between parties.
The GGSS allows Renewable Transport Fuel Certificates (RTFCs) to be claimed within the same quarter like the RHI scheme allowed as of the 1st of Apr 2021 as long as there’s no double-counting of biomethane.
All sites will be subject to an Ofgem audit in the first year of operation. We can assist you with this so please get in touch with us so we can help ensure your compliance.