NFU Energy customers are starting to be targeted by fraudulent energy brokers posing as NFU Energy and energy suppliers.
For as long as I can remember there have been rogue energy brokers out there trying to make some fast money from unsuspecting customers and it seems as though they’re becoming more frequent.
Over the past few weeks, we have been contacted by a number of NFU members saying that they’ve had calls and letters from energy brokers posing to be either NFU Energy or their supplier trying to get them to sign a new authority letter or enter a contract. Unfortunately, these types of calls are hard for us to trace and even more difficult for us to take action against without a decent amount of evidence from you, the members.
How can I check it's NFU Energy or my supplier calling and not a fraudulent caller?
- If they know your supplier, supply number and address it may still not be us, this information is publicly available on the electricity database. If you suspect that it isn’t NFU Energy ask us to confirm your unique reference that we hold.
- If you’re unsure of your reference or if they cannot confirm it, the safest thing to do would be to end the call and call us directly on 024 7669 8885. We really won’t mind if it was us, as we understand that it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- If they claim to be your supplier but cannot confirm your account number (printed on your bills), terminate the call and call back the number on your bill to speak to the supplier directly. Alternatively, call us and we will help as best as we can.
How can I help NFU Energy tackle these callers?
- Please send copies of anything they send you to email@example.com or post it to Energy Contracts Team, NFU Energy, 10th Street, Stoneleigh Park, Kenilworth, CV8 2LS so we can try to find out who they are.
What steps can I take to protect myself?
- Whatever you do, don’t give any personal information or sign anything if you’re suspicious, as they will likely try and move you into another contract without your say so with high commissions built in.