Tuesday 12th of April 2022 | Posted In: Generate, Generating energy, Use and Manage

Do you have permission?

How do you make sure that you are environmentally compliant? Our team sees everything from the initial planning, through all stages of projects and commissioning lifecycles. Accreditation to the Renewable Heat Incentive and Green Gas Support Scheme, as granted by Ofgem, require specific permits and documentation which we can do for you. Subsidy schemes make up a large part of our day-to-day business and we can walk you through what is applicable to your set-up alongside all your environmental compliance needs; from permitting right through to reporting, we do it all.  

Energy management and compliance can be complex, not least because of the number of acronyms. Here we list a few of the most commonly used ones with a bit about what they mean:

ESOS: The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is compulsory for those businesses who: Employ 250 people or more; OR, have a turnover of at least €50m AND a balance sheet > €43m (Euros not £); Or both. The Scheme is now in the period in which energy data is valid for ESOS Phase 3 assessments. Get in touch to start collecting relevant data and to book a compliance audit with us in time for the assessment.

SECR: Streamlined Energy Carbon Reporting (SECR) like ESOS, is also compulsory for big energy users to set out an energy saving strategy. We offer a full audit service designed to ensure compliance to this Scheme and can help customers through application and long-term compliance. Even if you are not obligated to report under this scheme BEIS encourages any company to do so on a voluntary basis.

CHPQA: The Combined Heat and Power Quality Assurance Scheme (CHPQA) ensures that sites generating heat and power from either natural gas or biomass are meeting a set level of quality, and in doing so enables participants to get tax relief on their fuels.

CCL/CCA: The Climate Change Levy (CCL) is an energy tax applied to electricity and gas for industrial and non-domestic supplies. Companies can get relief from CCL by entering a Climate Change Agreement (CCA) scheme with the Environment Agency, reporting on their energy use against scheme criteria every two years to remain applicable.

RHI COMPLIANCE: Having the necessary planning permissions and the relevant environmental permits in place has always been a requirement for a Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) application. We can help with any questions regarding whether your plant needs a permit to ensure that your RHI installation is compliant.

GGSS: The Green Gas Support Scheme (GGSS) opened to applicants on 31 November 2021 to Anaerobic Digestion (AD) plants producing grid quality biomethane. It offers 15 years of subsidy payments for accredited sites.

MCPD: The Medium Combustion Plant Directive (MCPD) is applicable to combustion plants commissioned after 20 December 2018 if their fuel input is greater than 1,000 kW (so between 700 and 900 kW heat output). An environmental permit with the Environment Agency is required to operate these plants. This applies to all plants that combust solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels, and may include backup fossil fuel boilers and generators.

Part B: Local Authority Part B permits are required for the operation of small biomass plants burning over 50 kg/hr of clean, recycled waste wood (Grade A). These can be applied for retrospectively and may be required for RHI.

WID and SWIP: If your project includes a biomass boiler that burns a contaminated or hazardous waste (below Grade A) you may need either a Waste Incineration Directive (WID) or Small Waste Incineration Permit (SWIP)

AQA: Air Quality Assessments (AQA) can be required for both planning permission and permitting applications. Ranging from Stack Height Calculations to full Dispersion Modelling, we can assist you in having your site activities assessed to help you determine potential areas of human and environmental risk, as well as proving low risk activities.

Permitted development allows for certain installations below a specific size or in a suitable location. Anything you might need help with regarding planning permission can be discussed with our NFU sister company, CT Planning (01543 418779). This also comes as part of our Renewable Energy Solutions package.

For further information and to see what might apply to you with regards to any of the these, call the NFU Energy team direct on 024 7669 6512.