Energy plays an increasingly important role in farm businesses. Here’s how the team at NFU Energy and their range of services can help to unlock the best value.
THINK BEYOND CONTRACTS
Many members already benefit from being part of an NFU Energy buying group. Getting the best price and contract you can is a good first step, but there’s a lot more you can do to keep your energy costs under control and make the most of emerging opportunities. Whatever your energy question, NFU Energy can help.
TAP INTO OUR WIDE EXPERTISE
Want a second opinion on a boiler specification? Wondering if a quote from your distribution network operator is too high? Struggling to interpret how the latest compliance regulations apply to your site? NFU Energy works with farmers and growers every day, so it not only knows how energy and the energy industry works, but it understands how it relates to the on-farm practicalities of your business.
BRING US IN AT THE START OF YOUR PROJECT
It’s usually never too late to contact NFU Energy if you experience a problem or challenge, but you’ll benefit most if you speak to the team when you first start to plan your project. “It could be an upgrade or expansion of a renewables system, or you might be thinking ahead to energy storage or a diversification project,” said NFU Energy Senior Engineer Thomas Wilkins. “The team knows what will give you the performance you are looking for, independent from any supplier.”
GET PRACTICAL HELP AS WELL AS SOUND ADVICE
NFU Energy offers advice, but it also gives practical support to help you get things done. This could include making scheme applications, negotiating with suppliers and third parties or light-touch project management for complex projects.
AN EXPERT EYE
“I recently visited four biomass boilers burning straw and woodchip and found a few issues affecting their ongoing Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) compliance,” said Mr Wilkins. “Those included a lack of good, accurate fuel records; insufficient meter readings – we recommend readings ideally weekly but at a minimum monthly; external pipework that was not declared and therefore heat losses not accounted for properly; and planning permissions which were not in place. “Our RHI HealthCheck highlighted the changes needed to remain compliant and kept the RHI payments coming in. It’s an easy way to get peace of mind.”
TOP 10 NFU ENERGY AREAS
- Buying electricity and gas – getting the best price we can for your usage profile.
- Arranging Power Purchase Agreements for selling your surplus electricity to the National Grid.
- Applications, data returns, reporting, and compliance health checks for renewable energy incentive schemes and other compliance schemes.
- Energy efficiency audits, helping you save energy and reduce costs.
- Renewable systems health checks, keeping boilers and equipment running at optimum efficiency.
- Feasibility and design services for new or expanded renewables or non-renewables projects.
- Carbon footprinting, planning for a lower-carbon future.
- Troubleshooting or advice on any energy-related area, such as heating, lighting and ventilation for new and existing buildings and greenhouses.
- Support for planning new and upgraded grid connections, metering and billing, moving lines and poles.
- Contributing energy expertise if you’re dealing with an energy-related legal issue.
SIMPLE, TRANSPARENT PRICING
Initial NFU Energy telephone advice is free. Standard contracts have no upfront cost (as these are covered by commission from the energy supplier) and for more complex energy agreements, you pay a fixed fee or an agreed commission. NFU Energy charges on a case-by-case basis for all other consultations and support work and, as an NFU member, you can save up to 10% on fees.
Don’t miss out on expert energy advice and support, call us on 024 7669 6512.