The UK’s commitment to be net zero by 2050 means that more and more of our energy needs to be produced from renewable sources. For example, by 2030 we will need more than double the current number of solar farms in the UK. This creates opportunities for farmers, who have the potential to host renewable energy schemes on their land.
Hosting a renewable energy scheme can be an attractive way to diversify your business and generate valuable new income streams, with some schemes potentially generating millions of pounds. For example, a 100 acre solar farm could earn you as much as £6m in land rental income over its lifetime. However, the development process is not straight-forward and it can be easy to miss out on opportunities or select the wrong partner.
How we can help you
Our Renewable Energy Solutions service helps you assess and develop renewable energy schemes on your land. We have partnered with Roadnight Taylor, a specialist consultancy with an unrivalled track record of delivering successful renewable energy outcomes for farmers. The service is designed specifically for farmers, and we provide expert tailored support at every stage of the process. Here’s how it works, in four simple steps:
- Feasibility study: We conduct a feasibility study to assess the potential for renewable energy on your land, and in particular the potential to secure a grid connection – the most important and challenging aspect of developing a renewable energy scheme.
- Grid offer: We submit a formal grid connection application on your behalf. Our deep experience means we know how to shape applications to maximise their chances of success. As a result, our success rate is around five times better than the industry average.
- Developer selection: We invite two or three of the UK’s leading renewable energy developers to bid for your grid rights. We only invite the most appropriate developers for your particular scheme and circumstances.
- Ongoing support: We remain involved in the scheme throughout its development, construction and operation to ensure it is delivered in line with your expectations.
Why work with us
We combine the NFU’s experience at the heart of agriculture with Roadnight Taylor’s unrivalled track record of delivering successful renewable energy outcomes for farmers.
- We’re industry leaders at identifying and securing grid connection offers.
- We help you secure competitive commercial terms with the right developer for your scheme.
- We provide tailored support at every stage of your renewable energy journey.
- We’re the NFU, so you can be confident that we have your best interests firmly at heart.
What to do next
If you are interested in finding out more about how we can help you install renewable energy systems on your farm, please contact us on [email protected] or 024 7669 6512.
Low carbon. Low hassle. Low bills